No, no, no. Not small hive beetle, not the Queen laying eggs in the wrong place. My girls are just eager to build comb.
That's what this is. Burr comb. I've had it before and it's a beautiful sight even though the poor bees have toiled to build it and now I just have to remove it. But I'll make a candle out of it, so their work won't be wasted.
What are they building it on? Where is this screen? We're going to feed some sugar syrup today or tomorrow. Our girls are gathering at the top of the hive.
I don't use a solid inner cover on my hive -- I use a screened inner cover. And a couple of weeks ago, when the weather was warm, I put a shim under the inner cover and on top of the top-most hive box (don't ask why I did it...someone told me of the value of shims for helping with late winter ventilation so I added one). Anyway, the space created by the shim gave the girls just enough room to start building comb. They are attaching it to the bottom of the screen. Hard to explain. Today or tomorrow I have to go out and remove the shim, scrape away all that lovely comb, and give the girls a full box of new foundation to work on.
2 comments:
What are they building it on? Where is this screen? We're going to feed some sugar syrup today or tomorrow. Our girls are gathering at the top of the hive.
I don't use a solid inner cover on my hive -- I use a screened inner cover. And a couple of weeks ago, when the weather was warm, I put a shim under the inner cover and on top of the top-most hive box (don't ask why I did it...someone told me of the value of shims for helping with late winter ventilation so I added one). Anyway, the space created by the shim gave the girls just enough room to start building comb. They are attaching it to the bottom of the screen. Hard to explain. Today or tomorrow I have to go out and remove the shim, scrape away all that lovely comb, and give the girls a full box of new foundation to work on.
Post a Comment