Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Boy could I use a manicure. Not very likely.


This possibly elderly worker landed on the ground in front of the hive with a pretty heavy load of pollen. I put her on top of the hive hoping she could get home from there. When she showed no signs of moving, I helped her get back to the front door. Just one lady of a certain age helping another.

3 comments:

Kitt said...

Awwww!

Peggy said...

How much room do you have on your lot for your bees?

Pam J. said...

My lot is about 1/3 acre and I have parkland on one side, but you can keep bees in a townhouse if you want. Actually, you could probably keep bees on an apartment balcony if you wanted. The bees don't care. As long as the front of the hive is open to the air that's good enough for them. On the other hand, humans, depending on the local ordinances, care a LOT about where the hives are placed. In my county, there are very minimal restrictions -- I think my hive has to be at least 10 feet away from any other house -- something like that. Both New York and Washington, DC, allow hives in the city, so people put them on roofs and in tiny back yards. There's a very gray area about neighbors. I'm not required to tell my neighbors, or to get their permission. But if I had neighbors with small children I'm not sure I would have done this beekeeping thing. Not because the bees pose any threat to children or anyone else. But the perception of danger is just too great. I could go on and on (or did I already do that?).