Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Oh no. It just occurred to me that today's beehive discovery may be small hive beetle.


Could those be small hive beetle larvae in my hive and not, as I thought, honeybee larvae? I can't do anything tonight at 11 PM, but tomorrow I'll be out there checking those larvae, no matter what the weather.

Small hive beetles! I should have thought of that. I even saw three of them a week ago.

I thought I had found all the "ing"s of beekeeping last year. But since then I've learned of other "ings"

checker-boarding -- a method of moving new frames [4/4/11 update: not "new frames" but "drawn frames" -- there's a difference and I just figured it out] and frames full of bees/brood/honey around to create a better environment for the colony
piping -- the sound made by scout bees when they are leading a swarm to its next location or when they are alerting the swarm to the new location, or both (I think)
sliming -- the fouling of a hive by small hive beetles. It's an unpleasant saga and involves the odor of rotting oranges. I admit to smelling something "off" today and 10 days ago when I cleaned out the bottom board of the hive. I've been trying to deny the smell but now I can't, and shouldn't.