Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Pollen gathering.





(a) The crocuses are blooming.
(b) Bees are landing on the crocuses and wrapping their bodies around the stamens.
(c) Bees are bringing bag-loads of something yellowish back to the hive.
Can I conclude that the bees are bringing crocus pollen back to the hive? Not sure. Beekeepers say that skunk cabbage (AKA false hellebore) is also blooming now and bees love it. There may be skunk cabbage in the park next door but I've never seen it -- never really looked for it. Maybe I will soon. My yard has real hellebores, and they are beginning to poke up and out.

I'm really glad I put up that mouse guard, and the girls had no trouble at all navigating over it.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Where do you live? We are still 5 feet deep in snow :( Our little bees still have to contend with 20 degree weather. AAAARG!! I hate this, I wish spring would come already.

I love the photographs! What camera did you use? I'd like to take pictures of my bees this year but not sure what brand to get and which macro lens.

JGH said...

Love that first shot!! Love that your bees are getting busy!

Kathy said...

Love the photos. My girls have been out and about, mostly showing how thirsty they've been. Will have to see how successfully they are finding pollen. Also learned something new: my bee partner neighbor was at a fruit tree pruning class and learned that pear tree pollen is twice as heavy as apple tree pollen, So honey bees prefer apple trees and avoid pears. Native bumblers are best for pears.