Thursday, March 31, 2011

What's this?


I was digging in my garden the other day, planting peas and potatoes, and came across this hard piece of something about 6 inches under the ground. At first I thought it was a rock, but it can be cut with a knife, as shown here, and it produces a powdery white substance when you break it down. My guess? An old fungus.

2 comments:

Kat said...

It could be a white truffle. They do grow in your neck of the woods. The local university should be able to help you identify it. Keep us posted!

Pam J. said...

A truffle! It never occurred to me. Although I did guess that it might be a fungus, which -- duh -- is what a truffle is. Thanks! If I have it tested I'll report back. Or should I just try it ??? (Don't you hate the use of the word "duh"?)