Monday, March 28, 2011

Graphic novels. That's what they're called in publishing and library lingo, but they're still just comic books to me.




One of the benefits of volunteering at my local library is coming across things I wasn't looking for. Like this little documentary about bees, and this so-called novel about bees. I'm a graphic novel snob -- don't like them. Or the idea of them. But reading anything is better than reading nothing so... The system for shelving graphic novels, at least at my library, is really, really stupid. Well, not stupid, but odd. I guess the way I would describe it is that they are organized by series, which translates (in my brain) to organizing them by size.

I think the bees are the heroes in this "novel" but I'm not sure. Will report back later.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I agree with you. Exhibit A: "Maus" I and II. Famous, well critiqued, but still comic books to me. They are taught at the local high schools.

Anne said...

Ho ho ho ha ha ha!!! A comic book about bees! Pam, your posts are endlessly fascinating.

Somehow, I'm reminded of a scene in the movie Fahrenheit 451, where Montag arrives home from a day at work and opens up the evening newspaper--which turns out to be a tabloid of comic book illustrations, but without the words!