Thursday, March 24, 2011

Could this be garlic? (3/26/11: Taste test confirms that it is!)


In the fall of 2009 in this very spot I planted garlic bulbs, and in the spring of 2010 I harvested a small crop of garlic. I didn't plant garlic again last fall. So what's this? Maybe it's garlic from the original planting and it just wasn't ready to emerge until now? Or maybe when I dug up the garlic last spring I left behind some bulblets, which are now emerging? [Chives, upper left, are looking good!]

My vegetable garden deer fence is more or less re-installed but I have to make some more adjustments to keep the beasts from sticking their noses under the fencing and forcing their way in. And the fencing has to be groundhog-proof too, since a family lives in the woods across the street. And there are a few bunnies here too, although ever since the foxes became more apparent I've seen fewer and fewer bunnies.

3/26/11: Rhetorical questions. Why do people have to keep reminding me to smell and/or taste leaves? Am I incapable of remembering to do that? dummy.

2 comments:

Hrach_Garden said...

It looks like the garlic I have planted in my beds. Try ripping a leaf and smelling it?

JGH said...

It could very well be! The question is, why does it look so much better than mine? Could it be because even after a couple of 70 degree days, it went back down to freezing at night and seems to be staying that way for the next week?? when is it gonna warm up fer gods sake?

Do you let your cats outside? I wonder if they're chasing away the rabbits?