
Why can't I remember this? Mushrooms ARE fungi. ("Fungus" sounds so poisonous. "Mushroom" sounds so benign and homey.) There are morels, picked one April in the most unlikely place: in a patch of woods near a very busy intersection at the junction of Takoma Park, Langley Park, and Silver Spring. My dad discovered this source decades ago. It's common among morel hunters to not reveal the exact location of a good source of these delicacies so I won't say any more. But they are definitely not poisonous and will cost you big bucks if you try to buy them or order them in a restaurant. And they are yummy sauteed in butter.
1 comment:
I had a mushroom moment today, as well, though it occured in the supermarket, where I refused to pay nearly $4 for a few Shitake caps!
I was inspired to get some by a sandwich I had at the hospital cafeteria on Tuesday.
Instead, I bought a container of your "run-of-the-mill" mushrooms. (Can you tell I'm no mushroom maven?)
I sliced a few up, sauteed them in combo olive oil/butter, added some roasted red peppers, and a little garlic powder. (Fresh garlic would have been better, I'm sure.) I took a few slices of bread, prepared to make a grilled sandwich, and sprinkled them with some freshly grated parmesan cheese. I topped the cheese with the mushroom/pepper mixture and sprinkled a little parmesan on top.
In the end, I decided to forego the second piece of bread, and wound up with two "half-faced" sandwiches, as I referred to them on the phone to a friend. She corrected me. Open-faced, she said.
Off we went with the silliness: two-faced sandwiches, shit-faced sandwiches, bold-faced sandwiches, etc.
Anyway, the sandwiches were very tasty. I added a couple of slices of Gala apple on the side. Yummy.
Post a Comment