Monday, November 24, 2014

My worm family.


Here you see my three bins of worms and my one bin (under the green concrete leaf--thanks Susan) of mostly castings ready to be spread wherever...my so-called vegetable garden I guess. I have an almost dormant blog about my worms, mylovelyworms.blogspot.com.

I have really neglected them recently, meaning the last couple of years. I guess I feed them enough (fruit and vegetable waste, coffee grounds, bills and junk mail). I just don't check often enough about moisture levels, carbon to nitrogen ratio, heat, that sort of stuff. But they are tolerant, and their population quietly rises and falls in response to my attentions/neglect. Worms have a lot of dignity. And they ask so little of me.

3 comments:

Anne said...

I pick up worms off the pavement after it rains so they don't get run over. Still, there are always a few casualties.

Pam J. said...

My worms (red wigglers, AKA Eisenia fetida) thank you Anne for saving their distant relatives, which are probably a species of earthworms in the genus Amynthas.

Margaret said...

Another friend has worms and swears by them. When it rains here, there are a zillion worms. I'm not a fan. :)