I'm reading both of these right now; actually I'm listening to the Dylan book. Yesterday, I came across a mention of De Materia Medica, a book written between 50 and 70 AD by Pedanius Dioscorides, a Greek physician and botanist. It's an encyclopedia of medicinal herbs and plants. I wasn't aware of this book until I read about it twice yesterday. I think that's at least a medium coincidence.![]() |
| A page from De Materia Medica. |


3 comments:
Is the Gilbert book good? I disliked Eat,Love, Pray so I've had issues reading her again.
Hi Margaret: The Gilbert book is very, very good. But it helps to have an interest in mosses and other plants since botany is a theme that runs throughout the book. Sometimes the most useless factoids stay in my head. I think I recall that you hate moss. Gilbert wrote a dynamite paragraph on why mosses are unlike all other plants, so for that paragraph alone it's worth reading the book. I refused to read ELPray just on general grumpy principles. Instead I read Drink, Play, Fuck: One Man's Search for Anything Across Ireland, Vegas and Thailand. Loved it.
Yes, I would call that a pretty good coincidence. I run into references to that book frequently (not too surprising considering what I read), but had no idea it's that old. Wow.
Post a Comment