Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The last of the basil so the last of the pesto.


I make easy pesto: in my small food grinder I add leaves, pour in some olive oil, sprinkle in some salt, toss in some walnuts, and top off with shaved hard cheese. Grind a bit, and toss with pasta, fusili for example.

[Note: I don't know yet how I feel about this blogging daily thing. I sure don't have anything of much interest to say. A daily record of my activities would be a snooze-fest. "Today I put 147 books on the shelves at the library." "Today I went to the grocery store." zzzzzzz.  But I think I like the tiny bit of discipline it takes.]

6 comments:

Zazzy said...

I've never made my own pesto. I don't actually use a lot of it but I do have lots of basil. I may have to make some and beg someone who knows for some ideas of what to do with it.

susan harris said...

What's this about daily blogging??

Pam J. said...

Zazzy: Wikipedia has a pretty good description of the history of pesto in which I saw this interesting "fact": The ancient Romans ate a paste called moretum, which was made by crushing cheese, garlic and herbs together. Basil, the main ingredient of modern pesto, likely originated in India and was first domesticated there.

India. Who knew? I quarrel with the word "domesticated" and may have to find a better word so I can edit the entry.

Susan: it's NaBloPoMo -- National Blog Posting Month! Since you are the reason I started blogging in the first place, and you are the Queen of Blogging in my world, I suspect you've come across mention of this annual event sometime in your decade (?) of blogging. The whole business got a bit bastardized when someone, don't know who or when, decided that EVERY month could be NaBloPoMo, not just November, which sort of diluted the original intent. I'm doing it, but reserve the right to stop whenever I wish. Because, hey, how many people will notice? Or care. My sister maybe.

Could this babble count as my post for today??

Kathy said...

I haven't posted anything new to my blog in about a year and a half. It does take discipline, and I never felt like I found my voice. I do enjoy your posts, even if they aren't daily.

Margaret said...

That looks delicious!! I think the same thing about my own blog posts,(why would anyone read?) but I guess other people's lives are more interesting than we believe ours are! I enjoy hearing about different parts of the country, and being exposed to other opinions and lifestyles.

KB said...

Yes, I would care deeply ... one of the highlights of my day. No kidding!