Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Is it geeky to like stamps?

 
I use them for the few bills I still pay through the mail. And for books I send to others through paperbackswap.com. Maybe the Postal Service should start charging a few pennies more for these commemoratives. I'd pay the extra, especially if it helped keep  small post offices open in rural towns.


6 comments:

Margaret said...

I also love stamps. I used to collect them!

Zazzy said...

I don't think stamps are geeky. I don't collect them but I can see the appeal. And yes to keeping our small rural post offices open.

KB said...

They are little works of art ... not geeky at all. And if they could help keep my tiny PO open, then I sure would pay more as well. Beginning in January ours will only be open 2 hours a day, but it will remain open ... for now.

Anne said...

I, too, appreciate stamps. Because I pay all my bills through regular mail, I use a lot of them. Here, let me get them out. I have Love stamps, Christmas ornament stamps, gingerbread house stamps, Save Vanishing Species stamps, Lunar New Year stamps, Nevada stamps, Circus stamps, Farmers Market stamps, American Treasures Hudson River School stamps, one-cent stamps, two-cent stamps, outdated 28-cent postcard stamps, and outdated 72-cent postage to Canada stamps. I also have a sheet or two of Humphrey Bogart stamps that used to belong to my dad. I don't collect stamps, but I support the post office by using their services often. And mail should not be delivered on Saturdays.

Pam J. said...

Nice collection Anne! Are those sheets of Humphrey Bogart stamps the 32-cent ones? Your dad tripled or quadrupled his investment, if you believe what you see on eBay.

Agree: no mail necessary on Saturdays. Although like everything else I think this cut-back will cause problems for the poor.

Shannon said...

I just bought a sheet of vintage circus poster stamps. I was sorry to hear that our choices will be more limited next year. And I think that the day off should be in the middle of the week so that the working poor can use the post office on Saturday.