Saturday, November 22, 2014

Saint Stephen.

A few years ago St. Stephen spent a day working beside migrant workers picking beans and corn. He then testified before Congress on behalf of migrant workers and their deplorable working conditions. At the beginning of this short clip, Congresswoman Chu asks "why are you interested in this subject?" Here's Stephen's reply. 


 

I have a long history of being enchanted, sometimes obsessed, by late-night TV hosts. I remember as a teenager doing homework in front of the TV and watching Johnny Carson. I had a very long Letterman phase  -- in the 80s and early 90s mostly -- when my office was a shrine to him. David Brenner had a short-lived quirky late-night show in the 80s, and between 1988 and 1994 Bob Costas had a very good interview show. Then there was Tom Synder, also in the 90s. Bill Maher, Jon Stewart, and John Oliver are my current main sources of news. And entertainment.

Yes, I'm going to complain again about Stephen being tapped as David's replacement on CBS. Only 12 more shows for Stephen; Dave's contract runs out in August 2015. I'll miss The Colbert Report, I'll miss Dave's Top 10 List, but I'll adjust. It's not reality. Or is it? Sometimes it feels more real than the so-called straight news.

1 comment:

Snoskred said...

Hey, long time no drop by, it has been a crazy couple of months here :)

As part of NaBloPoMo I try to comment on as many participating blogs as I can. And you are on the blogroll so here I am. :)

I have created three bundles on Inoreader so that bloggers can easily visit other participating NaBloPoMo bloggers which you can find here -

http://www.snoskred.org/2014/11/nablopomo-bundles-final-edition.html

Your blog is in the second bundle..

Happy NaBloPoMo to you!
Snoskred