Friday, November 21, 2014

Marmite. I just iClicked 4.4 oz of this stuff.

I learned about Marmite a year or so ago and it's been on my to-try list ever since. Just now I ordered a jar of it. It's [from Wikipedia] "made from yeast extract, a by-product of beer brewing. Other similar products include the Australian Vegemite (saltier in taste), the Swiss Cenovis and the German Vitam-R. The British version of the product is a sticky, dark brown food paste with a distinctive, powerful flavour, which is extremely salty. This distinctive taste is reflected in the British company's marketing slogan: 'Love it or hate it.' "


I like anchovies. I like salt bagels. I like pickles. My weakness is The Salty rather than The Sweet. So I may love Marmite. I'm thinking on toast.



5 comments:

Zazzy said...

My Australian friends say to use the smallest smear on your toast. They say we always use an excess. I do not like Vegemite, even in the smallest smear. So I look forward to what you think.

KB said...

Ditto on Zazzy's last sentence. If it's as salty as I've heard, I'm betting you'll like it.

Margaret said...

I will be interested to know what you think. I've heard only negatives, but so many Australians love it. There must be something about it...

cyradaria said...

I like vegemite in Men at Work songs.

Pam J. said...

Lyrics from Down Under by Men in Black:

Traveling in a fried-out combie
On a hippie trail, head full of zombie
I met a strange lady, she made me nervous
She took me in and gave me breakfast
And she said

Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six-foot-four and full of muscles
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a VEGEMITE sandwich
And he said

I come from a land down under
Where beer does flow and men chunder
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover
Yeah

And I learned another new word: chunder. Good one to know. Thanks Cyradaria.