Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Antler. I found this near the columbine and the viburnam in my side yard.






3 comments:

JGH said...

Hmmm....is that a normal "cycle of life" thing with deer? I'm impressed that you knew what it was!

WashingtonGardener said...

That antler would have freaked me out at the mere thought of deer in my garden.

Hmmm, that "viburnum" looks like Fothergilla to me - see http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/f/fotmaj/fotmaj1.html.

Pam J. said...

Thanks for the viburnum/fothergilla tip. I trust your opinion a lot more than my memory. Maybe you know the answer to this: I planted it (the "viburnum") 2 years ago. Last spring it was full of those flowers. I pruned it rather harshly....b/c I thought it was a viburnum. This year: only one single bloom. Question: I guess I wasn't supposed to prune it, right?

And about deer in your garden. I know exactly where you live (Susan Harris is an old friend of mine and we talk gardening [plants and people] all the time) and I'm actually surprised that you don't have deer at least in your neighborhood. As you know huge herds of them live in the parks all around you.