Friday, April 17, 2009

Burning Shadows.





In mid-April 27 years ago when I was hugely pregnant with this child I worried constantly that I would give birth to a child who would one day drive a motorcycle. I didn't want my little baby to die in an accident. If someone had said to me then, don't worry Pam, you will have a boy but instead of riding a motorcycle he'll grow up to be in a heavy metal band, I would have said "what? I don't think so." Well, kids have a way of surprising you.

His band had a show last night in northern VA. They sounded great. He gets his BS in Geographic Information Systems from U of MD next month. A very shy, very soft-spoken, very quiet (until he's on stage) heavy metal geographer. Love him to death.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Gee, he must be a really interesting guy! Heavy metal, geographic information systems, quiet and unassuming . . . gotta love the hair, too!

Nice to meet the kiddos, Pam.

Pam J. said...

Here's another interesting (to me) piece of the Greg puzzle. I don't think he reads this blog, and I don't think he'd be bothered that I blabbed about this, so....
When he was about 3 or 4 he started insisting, quietly but firmly, on wearing his little sports coat with a dress shirt and nice pants every day. He then wanted a tie. So, I let him do it. Why not I figured? He was entitled to dress the way he wanted. It was almost certainly his way of mimicking his dad, who dressed that way for work (still does... sans the tie 99% of the time). In Greg's nursery school class the teachers called him Mr. IBM. He gradually gave it up at about 5 yrs old -- before kindergarten. And it's been a slow evolution to his current look. Oh yes, that hair. It's a marvel. Hard on the drains however.