Friday, April 24, 2009

No-knead bread. I was a skeptic. But I've tried it twice and now I'm a convert.




There's been a lot written about no-knead bread. Two good articles from the NYT are here and here. It takes about 20 hours from start to finish but the actual labor is about 7 minutes total. Before I bake the bread I brush the top with olive oil and sprinkle on Kosher salt. This may become my standard bread.

5 comments:

Kitt said...

Ain't it wonderful stuff? You need to try the Artisan Bread in Five method, too. It's a bit more convenient.

Flat Creek Farm said...

Hi Pam J! Thanks for stopping by my blog! re: explanation - I knew exactly what had happened because I've almost done it before myself ;-) Your bread looks fabulous.. must try it sometime. I have the Artisan breads book, but haven't tried it yet! Love the blog... may have to follow! nice to 'meet' ya ---tammy :)

Pam J. said...

Hey Tammy... funny about hopping from one blog to another and getting lost. A clear sign of too much internet cruising.

love the donkey on your weather vane. I've been wanting a weather vane for a while. What I'd really like to do is MAKE a weather vane. Not bloody likely.

JGH said...

I really wanna try this but I am yeastphobic. No knead is promising development, tho!

Pam J. said...

Yeastphobic, huh? Interesting. Is it the smell of yeast, or the look of it, or the idea of it? This recipe does use yeast, and the dough bubbles up at one point so there is a yeasty smell.
At noon today I spent 2 minutes starting a loaf. At 6 AM or so I'll get up and spend another 2 minutes turning the loaf onto a floured cotton dish towel (then back to bed---I'm not an early riser). I'll probably pop it in the oven at 4 PM but I could bake it as early as 8 AM.
One of those NYT articles explains why this bread is so great:
“What makes [the] process revolutionary is the … crackling crust, the feature of bread that most frequently separates the amateurs from the pros. …To get that kind of a crust, professionals use steam-injected ovens. ..[the no-knead recipe works] by putting the dough in a preheated covered pot …Starting this very wet dough in a hot, covered pot lets the crust develop in a moist, enclosed environment. The pot is in effect the oven, and that oven has plenty of steam in it. Once uncovered, a half-hour later, the crust has time to harden and brown, still in the pot, and the bread is done.”