

Not much story behind the giraffes or the glasses or Gus. The giraffes were carved by a Kenyan, the glasses are old and were among those collected by my pack-rat dad,* and the Gus is from heaven. Gus doesn't talk unless there's no one around. If he makes eye contact with a human, or even sees a human, he's mute. But once or twice a week, when he's around a corner with no humans in sight, or outside the closed bedroom doors at night when he can't see the sleeping humans, he wails and wails and wails. Mournful wails. But the minute you peek out the door, or around the corner at him, he stops. Strange. Just like all kitties are strange.
*Thanks for the gene dad. Not.
3 comments:
I've been trying to think of a G entry (which I won't get up until the weekend, anyway). I haven't come up with anything, yet.
Good job on the granny glasses. Your dad was quite a collector. Love the giraffes. I have a few carved wooden items, too. Maybe they'll appear under the W entry.
I heard, or read, that cats only meow and, presumably wail, to "talk" to their people, but never communicate that way to one another. We have four cats and, as far as I can discern, it's true! I've never heard them meowing amongst themselves.
Ah, so this is the other side of the eyeglass case collection! I love granny glasses - why is fashion now insisting that every eyeglass lens be in the shape of a rectangle?! Some of those look pretty old. Love the giraffes, too.
So you have a cat named Gus! Do you know that TS Eliot poem from Cats? "Gus is the cat at the theater door. His name (something something?) is really Asparagus"
Maybe he is practicing his Broadway audition -- The equivalent of us singing in the shower.
I have a G entry and took a photo of it, but can't seem to find my camera. It will be up later today, I hope!
I hear your pain, Anne. I had nothing in mind for G until 2 minutes before I posted this. The word "granny" popped into my head for no reason -- the word formed over my head in one of those cartoon balloons. As I walk around my house I occasionally see something offbeat that I'd like to post but it always begins with a C. Go figure.
Very interesting about kitties talking to humans but not to each other. I think I have a Desmond Morris book about cats around here somewhree so I'll check it out.
JGH: You don't think the currently popular rectangular frames are inspired by Sarah Palin do you? Or maybe Keith Olbermann? Now there's a pair. Talk about strange bedfellows.
Post a Comment