Tuesday, July 12, 2011

An ikebana workshop and a meet-up with a friend.






On Sunday I met my blogging buddy Anne at the Smithsonian's Sackler Gallery on the Mall for a workshop on ikebana, Japanese flower arranging. We also had a short tour of some Japanese screens and pottery, which was very interesting. Anne did a great job of summing up our very fun day so go there for more details.

I learned something interesting about Anne just at the very end of the workshop. We were each given a handy little box to carry home our two floral arrangements. Anne decided that lugging the box to her car and driving home with it wasn't for her. Too much hassle. She didn't need the recycled wine bottle that held one arrangement nor did she need the little glass bowl holding the second arrangement. Me? Even though I was going home on the Metro and had to change subway lines at the extremely busy Metro Center (DC is still in high tourist season AND the very popular Folklife Festival was being held on the Mall), I was determined to bring home my "loot" -- aforementioned recycled wine bottle and cheap glass bowl. Don't ever believe her if she says she hoards things. A true hoarder would have done what I did.

Isn't Anne adorable? Soon there will be another Anne-Pam adventure to report on! To be continued...

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Love the screens!

Anne said...

I'm so glad you got that shot of the screen on our tour. The things we saw there were so, so beautiful!

And, and, that's a wonderful shot of your arrangement(s), Pam. Clearly, you were paying better attention than I was during class. I am my own bad influence. I'm still amazed that you were able to get it all home on the subway.

Maybe I'm just a lazy schlub in not taking the stuff home, but what I came to the program for was immaterial. And that was to meet up with you.

(Remind me never, NEVER to sit so close to a camera again.)

Peggy said...

Neat!