Sunday, July 24, 2011

"50 Years of Stupid Grammar Advice" by Geoffrey K. Pullum





A friend (Stephanie) who knows me well sent this 2-year-old article in order to mess with my mind. It was published in The Chronicle of Higher Education, a publication with a very good reputation.

I toiled for decades as an editor, and loved every minute of it (the editing part, not the toiling part). I kept copies of Strunk and White (that's a picture of my 1972 edition, showing lots of wear and tear) and Fowler's Modern English Usage close at hand, and referred to them weekly, if not daily. Now I learn that S & W have fallen on hard times, at least with some academics. I've read the Chronicle article twice and had one slightly contentious "discussion" about it with another smartypants (besides me) who thinks he knows what's up in the grammar world.

Now that I don't edit for a living I don't care quite so much that people are criticizing S & W, but I care a little.

Conclusions? None so far. Research continues though.

2 comments:

cyradaria said...

Serial commas ROCK.

Margaret said...

The Elements of Style is a CLASSIC!! I love grammar, by the way.