
+of+IMG_2845_edited.jpg)
The Washington Mall lawn generates a lot of debate and passion and I think I understand two of the most basic sides ("the lawn is for the people to walk on whenever they want, it belongs to the people!" versus "the lawn needs to be restored occasionally or it will cease to be a lawn and then no one will be able to walk on 'it' because 'it' won't exist!"). Some people say Astroturf is the obvious answer. In early 2009, while haggling over the Stimulus Bill, Congress cut funds for lawn restoration. Oh well, something has to go. The nicest thing about this off-limits area was how accepting everyone seemed to be about it. I'm sure there must have been some security around the area to enforce the no-go zone but I didn't see any.
For a year or so I've had this idea for how to keep the lawn on The Mall in good shape. The Park Service could divide up The Mall into, oh say, 7' by 7' squares. They could insert inconspicuous markers in the ground to show the perimeter of each square. Citizens could then volunteer to adopt a square. They can stop by their squares once or twice a week -- during their lunch break for example, or while walking to The Metro, or on a weekend day -- to add some grass seed or fix divots, just generally making sure the turf is OK. The government would continue to mow the lawn. Why wouldn't that work? There are a lot of us retired people out there who would offer. I would.
No comments:
Post a Comment