Thursday, October 7, 2010

Rally to Restore Sanity, Saturday, Oct 30, noon to 3 (??). In my hometown.



The Rally will be centered "at the east end of the National Mall, between 3rd Street and 7th Street, known as East Seaton Park and Henry Park."

I'm going down that way for lunch with friends in a week or so. When I do I'll go by the rally spot and find an easy-to-locate reference point as a meeting place for any bloggers who read this and are coming to town (Peggy). Maybe we could pick a time... 1:30 or so...that we'd gather at that point and say hello face to face.

I plan to go to the Rally (especially if my sister comes to town for the event). If she doesn't, I still plan to go but... I also know myself. I'm capable of staying at home if there's too much local babbling about how Metro will be overwhelmed, or how parking will be awful at Metro stations, or how counter-demonstrators will be around to make things ugly (maybe even my neighbor, whose house is shown here with that g-damn flag*** flying high). And now the guy on the other side of him has one flying. He's in the FBI I know. What does THAT mean? Nothing I guess. I am trying to not be bothered by these (the flags). But every time I see one of them my stomach drops a bit.

***10/13/10 update. I was referring specifically to the "Don't Tread on Me" flag, NOT to the American flag, which I love of course. Someone mentioned that I was not clear.

4 comments:

cyradaria said...

Here's my idea. What you do is you find something old, just like the Boston Tea Party, and you have it made up as a slogan into t-shirts. Examples: "REVERSE THE MONROE DOCTRINE." Or: "GET THE US OUT OF THE LOUISIANA PURCHASE." Then when you are at the rally and the media approaches you, you say how the whole ship of state went to the sh**s ever since we had the Monroe Doctrine. And you can start a movement around how Lafayette sold us down the river. Soundbite: "The Louisiana Purchase was one bad deal. It was only ever worth $10 million at best and even that is overvalued." And it will make just as much sense as "Dont' Tread on Me" or whatever it says on that yellow flag.

JGH said...

I love cyra's ideas!

I'm so tempted, but have a lot going on on the 30th. Hope you'll give us a full report!

Michelle said...

I'm so jealous, I wish I had seen this post before. We were all set to go but we knew of nowhere to stay in DC (we've never been there) and didn't know who to ask since we knew of no one from the area :( I'd love to be apart of the rally, I just love J. Stewart and Colbert! If you take pictures please be sure to blog about it :)

Peggy said...

We are staying at a hotel in College Park. I hope I can get a chance to meet you. My daughter from Brooklyn is coming as well as my stepdaughter from Baltimore