Thursday, October 21, 2010

Frozen basil and olive oil cubes. For winter pesto.





Some blogger (I can't track back to find out who it was, dammit, but I'll find out eventually and give her credit) mentioned doing this with any basil that's still hanging around before the first frost. Some people call it pre-pesto. I chopped up basil with olive oil and put dollops in an ice cube tray. Then I froze the tray overnight, popped out the cubes, and froze a bag of them for use later.

Another online person recommends using them this way: finely mince garlic, add the basil/olive oil, and then work in cheese (what kind?), butter, and pine nuts.

We haven't had a frost yet but a low of 38 is predicted for tomorrow night so my remaining three basil plants may be gone soon.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Might as well make the pesto and freeze that in the ice cube trays, which is what I do. I use a mixture of parmesan and romano in mine. I think my tomato has crowded my pesto out of existence, though, so I might not have any left. You're making me hungry!