Friday, March 5, 2010

My sister catches the no-knead bread obsession.


But she's using an even simpler recipe, if that's possible. It takes about 96 hours but as I understand it you don't even have to get your hands sticky the way you do with the traditional (in quotes) Sullivan Street Bakery recipe.

4 comments:

JGH said...

So the original recipe is not sourdough? I bought some yeast with the intention of trying this a few months ago, but I'm yeastophobic so it still sits in the cabinet. An easy recipe like this is tempting!

Pam J. said...

I don't really understand sourdough (although I've just printed out several articles on the science and history of it so I HOPE I understand it later today when I read all this stuff). The recipe my sister uses does call for a little yeast--1/8 tsp in the beginning and another 1/8 tsp in the middle. You mentioned your yeast aversion before, and every time I sprinkle yeast in my bowl I think of you. Is it the smell? The bubbles? Or, more likely, the idea that you're dealing with living, breathing, growing bacteria? If you could find a local baker who uses sourdough starter maybe you could get him or her to give you some. Then you could keep it going and have a continuous line of your own bread---without ever having to deal with the yeast. I really hope you can find a way around the yeast-hurdle b/c there's nothing quite as good as fresh hot bread from your own oven. Right Kathy?

Kathy said...

So very, very right! I've got four bowls in various stages of development going ... it feels a little like addiction right now, but I'm just starting. And so very happy to have found this recipe.

LauraP said...

Hot, fresh bread is the best, isn't it? I'm still a bigger fan of kneaded types though. I've not found a no-knead formula with a whole-grain texture that suits me.