I can't remember, what's the word for that? It's not coppice, it's something similar. . . I wonder what they use the harvested branches for. (Or are they being wasteful, and just doing it for aesthetic reasons?) I am fascinated at the idea of harvesting branches like that in a city setting.
I think your first thought was right and that it IS coppice. Coppicing and pollarding (I just learned from Wikipedia) are similar techniques. Also bowcocking. They are (were?) used to harvest firewood and to create new shoots -- on smaller shrubs -- for sheep and other animals to nibble on. But I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there's an ornamental reason behind this.
Pollarding! That's what it is. Coppice is practically the same thing, except that it refers to cutting the tree all the way down at the bottom, instead of lopping off branches.
I would love to see a traditionally maintained stand of coppiced and/or pollarded trees.
4 comments:
I can't remember, what's the word for that? It's not coppice, it's something similar. . . I wonder what they use the harvested branches for. (Or are they being wasteful, and just doing it for aesthetic reasons?) I am fascinated at the idea of harvesting branches like that in a city setting.
I think your first thought was right and that it IS coppice. Coppicing and pollarding (I just learned from Wikipedia) are similar techniques. Also bowcocking. They are (were?) used to harvest firewood and to create new shoots -- on smaller shrubs -- for sheep and other animals to nibble on. But I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there's an ornamental reason behind this.
Pollarding! That's what it is. Coppice is practically the same thing, except that it refers to cutting the tree all the way down at the bottom, instead of lopping off branches.
I would love to see a traditionally maintained stand of coppiced and/or pollarded trees.
I wonder if the reason for the pollarding is to create shade in the summer?
Post a Comment