Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wha'!?



I spent a good part of the weekend fortifying the deer fencing around the back yard. Last night, I looked down from the deck to find this guy. Inside the fence. He's one of the twins born last spring. His mom and sister/brother are next door, in the unfenced yard. When I told him to leave, and started down the steps to enforce my command, he skittered under a big rhododendron to rejoin his mom and sibling. There is fencing behind the rhodo, just not enough apparently. Boy-deer just nosed his way down, under the fencing and zipped up to join the others. As they ambled away to the yard across the street, the twins did a bit of that youthful sparring I saw them do last summer. They're still not really adults yet. Bastards.

3 comments:

JGH said...

Just when I thought I might solve my deer problem by putting in a 10-ft fence! I never thought about them squeezing underneath. Yikes!

Anonymous said...

Make sure the fence is firmly fastened to the ground. You can use ground staples. This is not so much of a problem with metal fence.

Pam J. said...

Ground staples have now been installed every 12 inches or so. Because this is a very, very nonprofessional job, the fence is still low enough (under 7 feet in most spots) that enterprising deer can leap over it. But they would have to be highly motivated. UPDATE: I just looked outside and saw a big, fat, healthy groundhog inside the fence area. (Double bastard.) So today I'll go back and install staples every 6 inches. At least the ghogs can't jump.