Monday, March 16, 2009

Skeptical.


"The average gardener spends nearly five hours a week grubbing in the dirt and often contends with failure early on." (http://www.comcast.net/articles/finance/20090316/Recession.Gardening/)

This is a quote from an article about how vegetable gardening is undergoing a huge resurgence this year because of the economy. I'm a very skeptical person (I learned how to be so skeptical from he-shall-go-unnamed-but-he-knows-who-he-is. He who questions everything). Last year I had a smallish veggie garden, about 5 by 5 feet, plus tomatoes, peppers, and herbs tucked into my flower beds here and there. There's NO WAY I spent 5 hours a week "grubbing in the dirt" of my veggie garden. Simply no way. Maybe if you include all the time (over the winter) that I dug up the turf AND the time I spent driving to a nursery to buy seeds AND all the time I spent taking pictures and blogging about gardening and cooking the food. But folks, there just isn't any reason to "grub" in the dirt after the seeds or seedlings are planted. A few weeds here and there but that's it. I say that if you have a smallish garden, let's say 10' by 20' or smaller, you simply couldn't spend 5 hours a week tending to it. So there.

Picture taken in November 2008. I enlarged my 5 by 5' to a 5 x 10'.

1 comment:

JGH said...

"Grubbing"??? It sounds so DIRTY put that way, doesn't it?

I'm planning to spend lots of time out there setting things up this year, but I'm hoping that I can spend less time digging and more time eating by July!