Sunday, March 1, 2009

I've been reading this novel for 3 months. Can't wait to finish. I think I'll read some short stories by Russell Banks next.

5 comments:

Kitt said...

That's a lengthy reading! I'm saving that one. I've read the precursor, "Gilead," three times. And "Housekeeping" is my favorite novel of all time.

I found out about "Gilead" at Book Expo America the year it came out, and Marilynne Robinson was there. I made a complete idiot of myself when I met her.

You can say that you didn't like "Home," but I can't hear you. La la lala la la.

Anonymous said...

hey pam--- this doesn't have to do with the book, but i couldn't figure out how to comment on your gardon to-do list. just a little input, although i know you're full of online info, my grandpa (mom's side--- farmer in iowa) always said to plant potatoes on good friday. so, second week of april this year. just a thought. hope all is well with you :o)

Pam J. said...

Annie P! Great advice. I'll note it on my "garden-to-do" list. Thanks. I hope you're snowed in today.

No, no, no Kitt, a thousand times no. Stop your la-la'ing. I really like Marilynne Robinson, I really do. Loved Housekeeping, am planning to read Gilead. My inability to focus on Home is entirely my fault, not the author's. I have a very bad habit of bringing home from the library stacks of nonfiction....like that book about bees, which I read because of your brood. The nonfiction pulls me in these days, which leaves less room for the fiction. Maybe I should spend less time blogging and more time reading, you think?

JGH said...

Gilead is also among my favorite books of all time and really looking forward to this one. Is it out in paper yet? Have not read Housekeeping but it is also on my list.

Kitt said...

Whew. I was worried! I'll be interested to know how you like "Gilead" as a follow-up to "Home." My understanding is that it's part of the same story, but "Gilead" was written first.

And yes, JGH, "Gilead" is out in paperback now. I'm glad you like Robinson, too!