Friday, November 6, 2009

Hmmm. Maybe my FaceBook gardening habit is worse than I thought. See links below.



http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33626149/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/


http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/31/scamville-the-social-gaming-ecosystem-of-hell/


http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1935698,00.html


But I'm hooked! I'll be careful... although one article hinted that you can be careful personally but if another "friend-gardener" isn't careful then you're at risk too. The economics of it are very interesting. Although I'm not sure I believe all the statistics in one article. For example, one said that FarmVille claims to have 60 million players. 60 million? really? I guess maybe worldwide, but still.

Picture is from a front flower bed, about a week ago. Amaranth, celosia, and 4 o' clocks (Mirabilis jalapa), also called marvel-of-Peru and beauty-of-the-night. Aren't those great names? The amaranth and celosia came up from self-sown seeds, and next year I should have lots of self-sown 4 o'clocks too. The deer don't bother with any of these plants until late in the season (now), but even now they really don't want to eat those 4 o'clock plants, which are so big and bushy but must taste horrible. Ha! to the deer! I'm going to plant tons more next year too. And nasturtiums, which they hate. And Russian sage. That's about it unfortunately. Well, butterfly bushes of course. And tickseed and eucalyptus. And rosemary and thyme. I guess it's not too bad, planting only things the deer won't eat. I walked outside tonight just after dark and a couple of small deer were about 15 feet away eating my clover. They looked up at me but then kept on eating. And I heard more across the street, and more to my left. It's kind of weird now, knowing that all night long there's a parade of them criss-crossing my gardens and yards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those links don't work for me!