Rosie and Porky are living a wonderful life up in Western Maryland. And I'm sure they'll make wonderful pork chops next winter. I'm very, very proud of my niece Sarah, her husband Kevin, and their three little adorable kidlets. They are living a real life, where they sometimes look their dinner in the face. That just seems ethically, mentally, ecologically, and morally healthy to me.
But I admit that it's much easier to watch someone else live this life than to live it myself. My fantasies of living a Willa Cather life can be played out by my niece while I watch from the comforts of my home. If I were 30 years old again maybe I would attempt such a life. Maybe. But not anywhere close to the Washington, DC, area. I like my air conditioning too much.
4 comments:
I couldn't live off the grid. I'm too lazy--or I prefer to think of it as BUSY.
Depends on how *far* off the grid. I love being out in the wilderness but I don't do well without a shower every morning (and sometimes a second one if it's really hot or I've done a lot of walking or whatever). I suspect this family probably does have a shower, etc. Cool that they're raising pigs!
I once knew a Scottish fisherman who would never eat anything he hadn't killed himself.
Makes perfect sense, but I'm not sure I could eat that much fish.
I'm just seeing this now, Pam :) I should clarify that, technically, Rosie is a grand-nephew as well. I just liked the way Rosie and Porky sounded together. George calls them Sausage and Bacon, though. And yes, we have a shower, flush toilet, washing machine, television, internet .. We just like sausage and have a big backyard :)
Post a Comment