Friday, July 27, 2012

I'm sort of reading this book (which my brain is not big enough to fully understand) and it made me buy this salad dressing. Which is delicious.


I've read a lot of Gary Taubes' writing over the years. His 2002 story for the NYT about how dietary fat may not be as bad as we're told by the experts, his 2007 NYT story on hormone replacement therapy and health advice in general, and his 2011 NYT story about how sugar is toxic. He writes clearly. He makes interesting and believable points. He cites scientific studies from reputable sources (New England J of Med, for example). But the total package of info is just baffling (to me).  I'll continue reading -- or skimming actually -- but it's very, very hard to believe he's right. His thoughts do, however, give me permission to ignore for yet another year my high-ish cholesterol readings.  It seems like everyone I know takes a statin for cholesterol. Which of course makes me dig in my heels and say "not me!" Thanks Dad for all this idiotic stubbornness.

3 comments:

bittenbyknittin said...

Oh, me too - my cholesterol is high-ish and I think statins are a plot by Big Pharma to make billions by scaring us unnecessarily. I will have to check out Gary Taubes, to see if he agrees with my other health-related theories.

Margaret said...

My cholesterol is marginal too because my GOOD is so high, so I refuse to take anything. We've been learning that sugar feeds cancer, thus we're trying to keep my husband away from it.

Shannon said...

As a 20-something, I must say that I eat fat on purpose. Like the salad dressing. And whole milk yogurt. I worry more about processed foods and high fructose corn syrup. I am not sure what I will worry about in my future years of eating. Hopefully nothing. I prefer exercise.

A challenge: notice corn in your diet for a week. It's in everything. Corn syrup, maltodextrin, dextrose, etc.

Btw, I was unable to identify the bird in my field guide. There is a flickr group dedicated to identifying birds that you can post to. Note the date observed and approximate size.