Wednesday, August 25, 2010

(Top) Swallowtail butterfly caterpillar--welcome. (Bottom) Hornworm--not welcome. (White creatures) Parasitic larvae cocoons--good. Thanks Icebear.



What are all those white things on the bottom worm? Aphids? And I wonder if the top worm is just a younger version of the bottom worm? They feasted on my tomato leaves. Not sure if they go for the fruit too but I picked some pretty gnarly looking tomatoes today. Someone, other than the groundhogs and rabbits, has been enjoying my crop.

4 comments:

icebear said...

the top pic is of a swallowtail butterfly caterpillar. it would prefer to eat carrot tops, fennel and parsley- but not usually enough to be a nuisance, the bottom one is definitely a hornworm with parasitic larvae cocoons on it. If you leave that one be, the larvae will hatch, destroy the hornworm and reproduce and attack more hornworms. I have a swallowtail larvae in a jar in the house that has just pupated. I enjoy keeping butterflies and my kids enjoy it too.

Pam J. said...

Thanks icebear. I'm very excited that you found my blog (or did I find yours?). Now I have someone to answer all my insect questions. And I love that you're a meatetarian. I've been described as a bit contrary at times (a polite way of saying I'm ornery) so I appreciate meatetarianism for its un-PC-ness.

Michelle Clay said...

Ewwwww, paracitized hornworms give me the heebie jeebies. But they're a good sign of nature taking care of its own.

Lucky duck, I want a swallowtail caterpillar!

You're ornery? :D Then I'm in good company! Man, I'e been so cranky lately!

Peggy said...

We raise Monarch butterflies and have released 7 so far this year with 6 more caterpillars feeding. We have not found swollowtails.