Sunday, August 30, 2009

Mystery flower. Found growing in Gormania, WV, by my sister. A type of bellflower??



9/2/09: I'm pretty sure that it's American bellflower (Campanulastrum americanum).

7 comments:

Pam J. said...

A few uniikely guesses:
It looks a bit like a wandering jew. I don't think I've ever seen a w.j. in bloom. And somehow I doubt a w.j. would survive in Gormania weather, but I"ll do some googling and find out.

It looks a tiny bit like Virginia Bluebells, but I don't think that's it either. That's such a nice name though -- Virginia Bluebells -- that I wish it were right.

I'm going through all my flower books and hope I can I.D. it by tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I don't think so ... I looked that up, and it looks nothing like this plant. Plus whatever this is, is wild...I'm convinced it's some sort of lady's slipper (or other wild orchid)... but I'll probably never, ever know. Thanks for the research! kb

Pam J. said...

I dunno... don't most lady's slippers have a pouch in their flower? Your flower doesn't seem to have a pouch. I'm still thinking it's one of the Campanula family, which is apparently huge.

Pam J. said...

http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/result.php?id_image=3106
???

Anonymous said...

ok ... i'm slightly more convinced ... but this thing is low-growing, in the shade, very small flowers (pale pink, with green stripe)... and it did have a "lip" (not a pouch, but a lip). I guess I really want it to be an orchid ... :) k

Pam J. said...

For now I'm calling it Gormanistrum katheracanum, a previously undiscovered orchid.

Anonymous said...

That's it!! I love it ...