Sunday, December 7, 2008

Step 1 in deciding to keep this piece of furniture: Put it on the carport where it will get in your way all the time so you have to do something soon.





This was my mom's 1950s sewing table. It opens up and has a storage compartment under the chair. When it's not being used it turns into cube. I love it and won't give it up, but it really isn't very practical other than as yet another piece of furniture that gathers dust. For most of its life in my possession it sat under a TV set. Not a good look.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

We have a few idle pieces like this, that we move from here to there, until finally they end up at the curb with a Free sign. I don't always like to do that, but there comes a point when years go by with no use, that we say goodbye!

Kitt said...

That's a really interesting piece of furniture! Cleverly designed. I would have a hard time letting go of it, too.

I had a neat old treadle machine in a beautiful console that I bought at auction in South Dakota. Used it as a TV table for years and finally put it out in the alley, where the neighbor immediately snagged it with great delight.

JGH said...

Looks like it would be great for storing something! We have a HUGE art file in our garage that we need to get rid of, but I probably won't take any action until I'm really desperate for space.

cyradaria said...

Whenever I see pieces like this I think of them saving up their money and planning to buy it and going out to get it and being taken with it, bringing it home, setting it up, being happy with the new purchase. Now, rogue furniture. I say, bring it in and spiff it up.