A great local Asian grocery store carries these and many other exotic fruits and vegetables. Is that good? Took a lot of oil to get them to Silver Spring, MD, from who knows where. Michael Pollan is inside my brain saying "this ain't good folks."
Hm. Usually when I see produce shipped in from other countries, I don't buy it. I question even the health/processing standards from where they come, and try to stick to native.
But...but...but. Joanne...that means bananas too... I can't do without bananas. Or can I? Should I? Do you? I believe I've read that rain forests are being wiped out because I eat bananas. So many hard decisions to make these days.
It's a tough call isn't it? I'm always caught between the "let's try something rare and exotic" and "let's listen to Michael Pollan." too. The least we can do, I guess, is to seek out fair trade tropical fruit. I couldn't entirely give up my bananas, canteloupe or the occasional pineapple.
Now that I fancy myself a food gardener, with one harvest of my 5 x 5 foot garden behind me, I have all kinds of opinions about food. I love the idea of eating local foods. And wouldn't it be nice to eat ONLY local foods? I have no illusions that I could ever do such a thing. Like tonight for example: I'm going out to eat dinner and who knows where the food will have originated...it's not a thought I like to dwell on. And I don't think I could give up coffee. I gave up alcohol 7 years ago; that's enough sacrifice. Now that I'm growing a little of my own food I'm also reading a lot about food production. And also about the energy "crisis," and the environmental "crisis," and the economy in general. When I took those pictures of fruit it was simply to take pictures of pretty fruit, inspired by Kitt's beautiful dragonfruit pictures. But the minute I posted the pictures, my fingers typed those few words about Michael Pollan, which I hope didn't sound preachy. And now I just devoted about an hour to online reading about bananas, Chiquita, United Fruit, rainforests, tariffs, working conditions in Hondorus and Guatamala, and on and on. I'm as conflicted as ever. But I'm also staring at three very ripe bananas and I think I'll have one right now. I'll figure all this out in another life. A few informative links.
9 comments:
www.squilachi.blogspot.com
Good question, but some say that they are a good source of vitamin, and curative properties, I don't know but I enjoy your blog.
Hm. Usually when I see produce shipped in from other countries, I don't buy it. I question even the health/processing standards from where they come, and try to stick to native.
But...but...but. Joanne...that means bananas too... I can't do without bananas. Or can I? Should I? Do you? I believe I've read that rain forests are being wiped out because I eat bananas. So many hard decisions to make these days.
It's a tough call isn't it? I'm always caught between the "let's try something rare and exotic" and "let's listen to Michael Pollan." too. The least we can do, I guess, is to seek out fair trade tropical fruit. I couldn't entirely give up my bananas, canteloupe or the occasional pineapple.
Are they actually from other countries or continents, though? All of those items can be grown here, or at least in Mexico.
Nice to have some shopping variety, in any case!
Now that I fancy myself a food gardener, with one harvest of my 5 x 5 foot garden behind me, I have all kinds of opinions about food. I love the idea of eating local foods. And wouldn't it be nice to eat ONLY local foods? I have no illusions that I could ever do such a thing. Like tonight for example: I'm going out to eat dinner and who knows where the food will have originated...it's not a thought I like to dwell on. And I don't think I could give up coffee. I gave up alcohol 7 years ago; that's enough sacrifice. Now that I'm growing a little of my own food I'm also reading a lot about food production. And also about the energy "crisis," and the environmental "crisis," and the economy in general. When I took those pictures of fruit it was simply to take pictures of pretty fruit, inspired by Kitt's beautiful dragonfruit pictures. But the minute I posted the pictures, my fingers typed those few words about Michael Pollan, which I hope didn't sound preachy. And now I just devoted about an hour to online reading about bananas, Chiquita, United Fruit, rainforests, tariffs, working conditions in Hondorus and Guatamala, and on and on. I'm as conflicted as ever. But I'm also staring at three very ripe bananas and I think I'll have one right now. I'll figure all this out in another life. A few informative links.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3821/is_/ai_n25418607
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/agr_ban_pro-agriculture-banana-production
http://www.rainforest-alliance.org/agriculture.cfm?id=fruits
Dear Pam-J thank you for stopping by, and nice comment.
happy hollidays.
I don't like foods that look like they could be props in a scifi movie.
Post a Comment