How high is your fence, Pam? Mine is about waist high and I think they're jumping over it. supposedly if you put any kind of obstacle (wheelbarrow, ladder, etc. ) at point of entry they wont jump over.
That's good advice about an obstacle; I've got one little 1-foot wide opening that I might start blocking off each night with a wheelbarrow. Thanks!
My fencing is pretty high--about 6 feet, even higher in some places. My mistake, which I mostly fixed today, was not consistently staking the fencing at ground level. The smaller deer have been nosing their way under the flexible fencing. Then others follow. And when they can't remember how they got in, they panic and eventually knock down the flimsy fencing in their eagerness to get out. I've watched them do it. I'm determined to solve the deer problem by myself (some would call this being stubborn) so I won't pay to have Big Deal Fencing installed. (I'm also on the cheap side...) I'll just keep plugging holes and hope for the best. The deer have the entire run of the front and side yards--not to mention the 95-acre wooded park next door. I only ask that they let me control the small back yard.
2 comments:
How high is your fence, Pam? Mine is about waist high and I think they're jumping over it. supposedly if you put any kind of obstacle (wheelbarrow, ladder, etc. ) at point of entry they wont jump over.
That's good advice about an obstacle; I've got one little 1-foot wide opening that I might start blocking off each night with a wheelbarrow. Thanks!
My fencing is pretty high--about 6 feet, even higher in some places. My mistake, which I mostly fixed today, was not consistently staking the fencing at ground level. The smaller deer have been nosing their way under the flexible fencing. Then others follow. And when they can't remember how they got in, they panic and eventually knock down the flimsy fencing in their eagerness to get out. I've watched them do it. I'm determined to solve the deer problem by myself (some would call this being stubborn) so I won't pay to have Big Deal Fencing installed. (I'm also on the cheap side...) I'll just keep plugging holes and hope for the best. The deer have the entire run of the front and side yards--not to mention the 95-acre wooded park next door. I only ask that they let me control the small back yard.
Post a Comment