Thursday, November 6, 2008

Romanesque. That's what this was called at the Amish Market today. I bought it for the picture, but will of course eat it.


Blogs are so great. I found a great picture (http://www.ianhayhurst.co.uk/w/IMG2832) from someone in the U.K., and this quirky description (http://grocerytrekker.blogspot.com/2007/02/romanesque-fractal-broccoli.html):
"What is this light green vegetable which delights a Paris market shopper, which prompts musings of the Fibonacci sequence...?

"It's romanesque, or romanesque broccoli, the “fractal vegetable”. The geometric symmetry is mesmerizing, discernible even as a little tiny piece.

"With its firm texture and taste reminiscent of young broccoli or cauliflower, it held its own among absolutely gorgeous itty-bitty vegetables in the burrata and gnocchi dish I mentioned in the previous post. A vegetable to savor? Precisely."

2 comments:

Kitt said...

I've always been intrigued by that vegetable, but it frightens me a little, too.

If I ever see it in the market I will have to buy it, I think.

JGH said...

I saw this at a gourmet market in Manhattan once, but they were charging something like $7 a head. So I didn't buy it. But now I can come to your blog whenever I want to see it!