Wednesday, May 4, 2011

"...not walking this Earth again."

"... there is no doubt that we killed Osama bin Laden. It is important for us to make sure that very graphic photos of somebody who was shot in the head are not floating around as an incitement to additional violence or as a propaganda tool. That's not who we are. We don't trot out this stuff as trophies.

"... I think Americans and people around the world are glad that he is gone. But we don't need to spike the football. ...

...There is no doubt that bin Laden is dead. Certainly there is no doubt among al Qaeda members that he is dead. And so we don't think that a photograph in and of itself is going to make any difference. There are going to be some folks who deny it. The fact of the matter is you will not see bin Laden walking on this Earth again."


President Obama in an interview with Steve Croft of "60 Minutes." To air Sunday, May 8.

2 comments:

JGH said...

Amen to that. They did say on the news that they expect a photo to be released, but not right away, so I wonder.

I've been following Naomi Wolf's feed on Facebook--she is posting some really good articles from news sources around the world offering some very different perspectives.

Anne said...

I applaud President Obama's decision not to release the photo, for all the obvious reasons.

And I think we all expected that Osama bin Laden would be taken out in such a fashion . . . if not sooner, then later. So, no surprise there.

However, the Obama administration's over-zealousness about announcing the news so rapidly has been causing some major credibility problems.

I didn't have any issues with Obama's brief, initial statement on Sunday night, but every news conference/interview with officials since has raised more questions and evidence of mis-statements (or worse), beginning with Jay Carney's shameless political plug when introducing John Brennan, who himself related a lot of information about which there is now some frantic backpedaling, to Leon Open-Mouth-Insert-Foot Panetta.

Can I just say, too, that it's shocking how much detail about such an operation is disclosed to the public. No one seems to be able to say, "That information is classified."