Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Here's the first fawn of the year, meaning the first one seen in or just outside our yard. I saw my first one 5 houses away on 5/25 -- but no camera.



I'm glad the fawns are here although in 6 months they'll just be part of the herd I frequently and loudly curse. My guess is that she's at least a few days old. In the past few years I've noted that the moms often hide the babies, sometimes in our yard or a neighbor's yard, for up to 18 hrs when they're very, very young. The moms stray away but the fawns stay put, even if a human gets very close. I guess this is when they are freshly born and they need to hide from prey, or gain strength, or both. This fawn teetered after mom, so I wonder if she's been tucked up for a day or so under one of the many ornamental grasses or low-hanging shrubs in this area, and she's now ready to eat her way through the neighborhood and park next door?

Isn't she/he adorable? Mom and her lady friend were vigorously cleaning her/him when I first saw the group in my next door neighbor's yard. Which caused me to say "oh look, Bambi has Two Mommies!"

No comments: