Friday, May 13, 2011

Irises and Mexican evening primrose.




I know where the irises came from -- gifts from friends with too many irises -- but the Mexican primroses, if that's the right name, arrived mysteriously. They are very aggressive and maybe I shouldn't encourage them, but they give me the most beautiful pale pink flowers all spring and into the summer. Each year I get a little better about weeding carefully enough to allow them to spread throughout one of my side gardens. They'll have to battle it out with the also-invasive bronze fennel and the apparently invasive caryopteris. All so pretty. And I don't feel any guilt about having them because when I'm dead and gone and no one cares about this garden they will be overcome by the mile-a-minute weed. Now THAT'S an invasive plant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In Texas this pink flower is called Evening Primrose.
I enjoy it too, but it can become invasive.