
From wikipedia:
After graduating in 1942, Brubeck was drafted into the army and served overseas in George Patton's Third Army. He was spared from service in the Battle of the Bulge when he volunteered to play piano at a Red Cross show; he was such a hit he was ordered to form a band.
Brubeck is now 88 years old. I saw him once before, at the Carter Barron Amphitheater in DC in the mid-60s (the mid-1960s that is, not HIS mid-60s, and I can still say not in MY mid-60s cause I ain't there yet but it's approaching way too fast). I was still in high school and I went with my next door neighbor. My first serious date I guess you'd say. (What was his name??) The Warner Theater is my favorite DC music venue --- over the years I've gone there to see Bonnie Raitt, the late, great Root Boy Slim, Jimmy Clift, Keith Jarrett, and Tom Waits.
1 comment:
Have a great time, Pam. What a legend he is!
Post a Comment