


I hadn't seen the fawn since Sunday. On Thursday I was poking around at the back of my yard, and was surprised to flush out Bambi. She was inside my deer-proof fence! No mom in sight. She panicked and tried to knock down the fence and eventually either slithered out under a place where I didn't have the mesh firmly staked to the ground, OR she went through the carport to escape. I didn't see the actual moment of escape because I was also panicked. A few minutes later a grown deer came by and the fawn started to approach her, but they soon parted and the fawn trotted toward me! Poor thing. Thinking I could help her maybe. Eventually she wandered off. Later in the day I saw what might have been mom and the now-almost-grown 1-yr-old twins but no fawn. I've read that I should do nothing. No trying to feed the fawn, no trying to catch her if I see her. But I don't know how long she was trapped in my back yard --- seems unlikely that it was more than 24 hrs. I've read that even at these young ages the mom will leave the fawn for hours at a time. Supposedly, the mom can smell her way back to the fawn. But I'm very pessimistic. I messed with mother nature by putting up that fence. I feel like a fawn-killer. Reports as or if they become available.
2 comments:
Don't feel too bad - they'll probably all be reunited soon, if they aren't already. It must be tempting to try to feed her.
I'm torn. You're my friend but I want to root for Bambi.
Post a Comment