
I've been remembering 9/11 every single day for nearly 10 years. I've read dozens of books and countless articles about that day, bin Laden, Afghanistan, Islam, and terrorism in general. I live just outside DC and have family and friends in New York. The 9/11 attacks are almost as chilling to me today as they were 10 years ago, maybe more. I'm sorry, but on Sunday I'm putting my head in the sand and trying to avoid the "commemoration." I don't judge those who either planned all this hoopla nor do I judge those who will actively participate in it. But I'll not be among them.
9 comments:
It's something I'll never forget and images still have the power to bring me to tears, all the way over here in Australia, where I didn't know anyone personally. I feel the same though about wars and holocausts. Commemorations are important and valuable as time goes by for those who were children then and generations to come. The commemorations are like an equivalent to tribes long ago gathering to pass on important stories and history. HOWEVER...the media are unfortunately not the same breed as our "tribes" and really should not be put in charge of commemoration. They are looking for an excessive emotional "string pull" and their motives are not pure. I like to think that in another 50 years, people will be holding personal commemorations, maybe gatherings, like they do here on ANZAC Day and it will not be a media circus like today.
AND NO! You're NOT a bad person, I know exactly what you mean.
You are a normal person. We can remember tragedies, but choose to move on and not subject ourselves to the horror more than we have to. It's called survival and coping.
What a great statement -- remembering it daily for 10 yrs.
But I do want a 9/11 coloring book. Just for the sheer tastelessness of it . . . "death kitsch".
Wow. It's like you read my mind, Pam. Personally, a quiet, subdued commemoration would be so much meaningful, and a lot more tasteful, than the media hype to which Tanya refers.
I can't imagine anyone wanting to relive those hours/days, and view the horrific images, anymore than any other atrocity of any origin.
I'm so glad you wrote what you did.
Also meant to ask: Do you remember the orginal New Yorker cover from the issue following 9/11? Black cover with just a lighter shade of black showing the World Trade Center buildings?
I kept that copy for years, until I started feeling the way you expressed in this post.
Oh Anne, not only do I remember that NYorker cover but I still have mine. And you inspired me to dig out my entire sick treasure trove of 9/11 covers, newspapers, flyers. I was shocked at how much I had saved, including the NYT front page from September 12 that has the most awful photo of fireballs coming out of a tower--an image we've all seen. The most interesting item is the NYT from literally 9/11. I'll post a picture of it. It was printed obviously 8 or 9 hours before the attack and we seemed to be so carefree in those hours. The picture was about fashion week.
I may get inspired by your act of tossing out that cover. But it will be hard because I AM a pack-rat, and I imagine my little collection being passed around after I die and finding its way into the hands of someone who will find it all fascinating. (I know of course that after I die some relative will sensibly just dump it all out because it IS trash.)
Even though I am amoung those who have to plan the hoopla, I totally understand, Pam, and even agree to some extent. Just as with grief, people heal in different ways and we need to respect that about each other.
So, I have a joke for you and you'll have to forgive me if you find it offensive...but you might like it.
Knock Knock.
Who's there?
9/11.
9/11 who?
You said you'd never forget!!
I love my readers and commenters, I really do. Tanya and Wash. State Margaret have wise words about ritual and loss, Anne is always in solidarity with my grumpiness (and set me in motion to find -- and maybe destroy, in a ritual? -- all that 9/11 ephemera I have hidden away), Cyradaria and JGH made me laugh with their slightly outrageous humor. 9/11 coloring book says it all. Jen, I just knew you would be doing something at work to mark the day: how could you not? which is exactly why I ended my post by saying I do not judge anyone who has to plan such events.
Post a Comment