These sad tomatoes, plus two from last week that looked equally sad, are the total sum (or is it "sum total"?) of my harvest this year. There are a bunch of small green fruits out there but whatever has been eating at these (stinkbugs maybe?) will surely get them too. Maybe I'll pick them while they're still green and just make fried green tomatoes. The potatoes are the total harvest from two healthy looking plants. Is it me? Or my soil? Or the barely 5 hours of sun the garden gets? Maybe next year will be better.
4 comments:
Our tomatoes are just coming on now. Finally, some sunny weather. (of course after school has started) GRRRR!! We're hoping for some not-so-cool nights for a while.
I had total tomato fail this year too. Birds got what ripened, so I netted. Wind blew down the cages, so I tied them up. All for naught. Finally just pulled them out of the ground and tossed them last weekend.
From Washington State Margaret I learned that insufficient sun is probably part of my problem. And from No. VA Kathy (not Sister Kathy) I learned that at least I'm not the only one in the DC area to have a crop failure. Thanks blogging friends.
So much for feeding ourselves during/after the apocalypse -- Margo
Post a Comment