All summer long I've been wowed by the huge bumblebees at my flowers. But I don't think they were bumblebees...carpenter bees is what I now think. Huge!
I'm so not in the blogging mood. I write blog posts in my head but never put them here.
What would be in those posts that are in your head but don't make it onto the blog? Just curious. That's a HUGE bee--never heard of the carpenter version. Eek.
"what would be in those posts?" Well, the big one that's blocking everything else in my head is a topic I hesitate even to type out b/c I've managed to drive away family and friends with my obsession. I want to post about global heating. I keep reading books about the planet, especially those of a British scientist James Lovelock (I can hear the moans if and when any of said family & friends reads that word). For years I've been perplexed (still am) about how this subject -- climate change -- has apparently two sides: no, it's not happening, and yes, it's happening and we can stop it or slow it down. I see Al Gore in one corner and Rush Limbaugh in the other and I think they both might just be windbags. (See, this is why I don't post about it: once I start I have verbal diarrhea and go on and on and on...with sentences that have no ending.) I also want to post about other books I've read or am reading. I want to post about politics and the news business. I want to post about recipes I've tried, and about Buddhism and about how brief each life is. I muse about what life means. I fret because I'm so very, very lucky in life. Lucky to have air conditioning, lucky to have a nice roof over my head while millions of other humans are starving (in No. Korea, in Africa) or living under tarps (in Haiti). It's too much to keep in one average head.... enough!
Pam, I've always been so impressed with the number of things you think seriously and deeply about. When I start to think about a topic or an important issue, what generally runs through my mind is "Gee, I'm hungry/have to pee/better do a load of laundry/check my email/change my toenail polish to match what I might wear tomorrow/and I wonder if Pam posted something new on her blog today."
Oh, my. I'm really gonna respond to the comment you left here about all the stuff swirling around in your head. See, this is why you are not fat! You must burn loads of calories just THINKING.
If I had to home in on one thing in that long list of SERIOUS topics, it would be about an approach to living and dying. I'd like to live smaller (ha!) and more simply in so many ways. But also feel a part of a larger community--but not too large. Death? I don't want to be frightened of it and I don't want to suffer any pain. I often think about how I might handle a devastating diagnosis of some type--would I be graceful in the knowledge that my life would soon be over? Then I think about all the stuff I would NOT want to leave for anyone else to deal with. That makes me think that I should really get busy sorting through the detritus of my existence, and begin some kind of notebook of instructions.
Well, all this is really the stuff of a face-to-face dialogue.
One thing I DO know is this: whenever I don't have access to news/internet, I am much more at peace.
6 comments:
What would be in those posts that are in your head but don't make it onto the blog? Just curious. That's a HUGE bee--never heard of the carpenter version. Eek.
"what would be in those posts?"
Well, the big one that's blocking everything else in my head is a topic I hesitate even to type out b/c I've managed to drive away family and friends with my obsession. I want to post about global heating. I keep reading books about the planet, especially those of a British scientist James Lovelock (I can hear the moans if and when any of said family & friends reads that word). For years I've been perplexed (still am) about how this subject -- climate change -- has apparently two sides: no, it's not happening, and yes, it's happening and we can stop it or slow it down. I see Al Gore in one corner and Rush Limbaugh in the other and I think they both might just be windbags. (See, this is why I don't post about it: once I start I have verbal diarrhea and go on and on and on...with sentences that have no ending.)
I also want to post about other books I've read or am reading. I want to post about politics and the news business. I want to post about recipes I've tried, and about Buddhism and about how brief each life is. I muse about what life means. I fret because I'm so very, very lucky in life. Lucky to have air conditioning, lucky to have a nice roof over my head while millions of other humans are starving (in No. Korea, in Africa) or living under tarps (in Haiti). It's too much to keep in one average head.... enough!
continued
another topic I create mental posts about is dust (and soil and dirt). Origins of each, definitions of each, overlap between-among them.
In a recent comment someone called me a geek. Or a nerd. Can't remember which. But when I look at the paragraph above I think yes, I am a nerd.
Pam, I've always been so impressed with the number of things you think seriously and deeply about. When I start to think about a topic or an important issue, what generally runs through my mind is "Gee, I'm hungry/have to pee/better do a load of laundry/check my email/change my toenail polish to match what I might wear tomorrow/and I wonder if Pam posted something new on her blog today."
Oh, my. I'm really gonna respond to the comment you left here about all the stuff swirling around in your head. See, this is why you are not fat! You must burn loads of calories just THINKING.
If I had to home in on one thing in that long list of SERIOUS topics, it would be about an approach to living and dying. I'd like to live smaller (ha!) and more simply in so many ways. But also feel a part of a larger community--but not too large. Death? I don't want to be frightened of it and I don't want to suffer any pain. I often think about how I might handle a devastating diagnosis of some type--would I be graceful in the knowledge that my life would soon be over? Then I think about all the stuff I would NOT want to leave for anyone else to deal with. That makes me think that I should really get busy sorting through the detritus of my existence, and begin some kind of notebook of instructions.
Well, all this is really the stuff of a face-to-face dialogue.
One thing I DO know is this: whenever I don't have access to news/internet, I am much more at peace.
Do Plumber Bees have butt cracks?
Post a Comment