Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Atlantic shoreline in Delaware and one pretty fantastic sunset.





We spent a week at Delaware's Bethany Beach and it was great as always. The surf was rough most days, but the last night we were there it got pretty calm. That's Doug walking pensively along the shore.

I was brave and swam most days. It didn't used to take bravery but it takes strength to go out (and get back in) these days. Delaware does "beach replenishment" quite often. Sand is dredged up from offshore and deposited on the beaches to keep them built up enough for human use. It seems like such a losing (and expensive) battle but I'd be a complete hypocrite to complain about it since we visit this beach every year. One opinion holds that all that digging and dumping has changed the character of the shoreline. Years ago, before dredging, the shoreline tapered out more into the ocean. There were breakers far out, and you could walk quite a way out before the water got deep. You know, a natural mid-Atlantic coastline. Now, you can only walk out several yards before there's a sudden drop off and you can't touch the ocean floor. That change in the slope also makes the waves big (I think).

5 comments:

JGH said...

What a gorgeous sky! We went to Rehoboth Beach last year and I noticed the same thing. At Wildwood, on the Jersey Shore, the taper is just too far, though - you have to walk a mile through the sand to get to the water!

Michelle said...

I am afraid of swimming in the ocean. I got stuck in a current once and almost didn't make it back in. I think the ocean is gorgeous and love walking along one though. The sunset photo is beautiful! Makes me wish I were there.

Margaret said...

Beautiful photos! I love the beach. It's very calming to watch the waves. I'm not much of a swimmer, more of a wader. :)

Anne said...

Beautiful photos, Pam. Oh, the beach. Can you believe that it's been 10 years since I've been to the Atlantic shore? Such a shame, when it's really relatively close. When I was young, our family visited the beaches in MD, DE and NC often, camping in the early days and then getting rooms or cottages.

I wonder what Doug was thinking about. Fishing?

Pam J. said...

I suspect Doug was thinking about Jesse James because he read yet another book about him at the beach. Or maybe he was thinking about what kind of salty snacks we had back at the beach house.