Thursday, June 30, 2011

I was ho-hum about orchids until I read this book. Now I'm all atwitter about them. (Nice to see the word "twitter" without the word "Weiner," right?)


The book is about a lot more than orchids: the history of the Seminole Indians, wildlife in Florida in general, the western-most section of the Everglades called the Fakahatchee Strand State Preserve, and rich people and their hobbies. Oh and passion. That was what the author was really exploring: why some people are so bizarrely passionate about these flowers and what that passion will make them do.

I didn't need this book to remind me that Florida is a state I don't think I'll visit again. Way too hot and way too full of gators.

And the movie "Adaptation," which is kinda, sorta based on the book: saw it twice; remembered virtually nothing about it. That's what you get for watching movies at home on an old-fashioned TV screen (while quilting).

1 comment:

cyradaria said...

What I love is the fact that Native Americans aren't subject to US laws in certain parts of the US so in Florida they can go in and poach rare orchids and not get caught.