Sunday, January 2, 2011

With temps over 40 and a bit of sun the bees have been taking cleansing flights. And they tossed all the bodies off the front porch. So tidy.



There's quite a bee cemetery below the hive entrance--bottom picture. I'm surprised something or someone hasn't eaten them. Lucy likes to eat dead bees, but then there's not much Lucy won't eat. Fruit, bread, vegetables, bees.

4 comments:

cyradaria said...

Bee armageddon.

Michelle Clay said...

Compost?

Michelle said...

every time I see hives with mouse guards I want to cry. I didn't do that in time for mine. I'm going to pay for that one in the spring. Are your bees diving towards death as well? It is such an odd sight.

Pam J. said...

Michelle (of the beekeeping variety): is it too late to put on a mouse guard b/c there might already be a mouse in the hive and you don't want to trap him inside?

And yes, I've seen the death dive. I wonder if they think they're just going out to "cleanse" -- such a delicate word -- and the next thing they know they've fallen and they can't get back up. I'd like to think they die quickly but I'm not so sure.