Saturday, November 27, 2010

I learned two new words at my mishpocha Thanksgiving.


Grandniece Anabelle on the right, nephew Seamus in the rear, Norah on the left.
This picture wasn't taken on Thanksgiving; I took it a month+ ago. But every day I give Thanks for them and my grandnephew George, and Ildiko and Emese, my nieces by marriage. All the little ones. I got to smooch briefly with Ildiko (10 months old) on Thanksgiving; it was heavenly. Wish I'd taken my camera.

I'm posting this picture now just because I want to. I believe their mom, my niece, told me that the stove in the back is the entire source of heat for the whole house. Big house too. Out there on that mountain being buffeted by the winds. Brrrrr.... wish I was (were?) there. I love the cold weather.

These are the words I learned:
Buteo
(noun) A type of soaring hawk that prefers grassland and other open habitats. Buteos have broad wings, wide bodies and short tails, and are able to soar without flapping their wings for long periods of time. These birds are most easily identified by wing patterns and shape, though the large range of color variations within individual species can make identification difficult. Buteos prey on lizards, snakes, mammals and rodents. Buteos include red-tailed hawks, ferruginous hawks, red-shouldered hawks, Swainson’s hawks and rough-legged hawks.

Mishpocha
(noun)
(Yiddish) the entire family network of relatives by blood or marriage (and sometimes close friends); "she invited the whole mishpocha."

The group of people I was with on Thanksgiving are in-laws of in-laws, and Doug knew there was a Yiddish word that described that kind of gathering. At dinner, David -- a Jewish in-law of an in-law -- provided the correct pronunciation of mishpocha, telling me that you aim for a sound somewhere between a "B" and a "P."

And, finally, all of this came together in my head because a blogging friend posted a picture of hamantaschen.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Nephew Seamus -- are you referring to the dog? When we took Pilot to PA for Thanksgiving, I told him he was going to see his Auntie Julie and Uncle Lou. Ha ha ha!

The kids are too, too adorable. Love the red cheeks--just like apples. They're probably pretty hardy kids, with the stove heat and all. I love a wood stove and really miss it from the days I used to live in my cabin. During the ice/snow storms and power outages, I could always have coffee and something hot to eat.

Thanks for the vocab lesson, too!

Pam J. said...

Yes, Seamus is the doggie. He's a beloved doggie but not a particularly good doggie. My sister tells me that he snips and snaps at people -- including little people -- from time to time.