
Anyone who has read both To Kill a Mockingbird and Gone With the Wind might find this short essay interesting.
I don't think I'll ever forget these words:
"I was born in 1959. Mockingbird was published in 1960. I read it for the first time not long after reading Gone with the Wind. I have long divided the world into Scouts and Scarletts—and I have always wanted to be Scout.
"And for every year of my life but the first, Mockingbird’s very existence, reader by reader, thirty million strong, has made the world a better place for me and for mine, just as before I was born and for every single year of my life Gone with the Wind has made the world more difficult for people like me."
2 comments:
I just read something about the Most Influential American Novel. I assummed it would be this one, but it was Uncle Tom's Cabin. This has always been one of my all-time favorites, though.
I just saw a documentary about this last week. Featured the actress who played Scout and the town that still functions as the site of the film -- they do readings in the courthouse and tours.
Post a Comment